Freelance Writers need to have their own website to promote their business and bring in business for their writing service. Many Freelance Writers have already constructed a website, up work while others are exploring their options. For those who are exploring there options, they will find many excellent examples and others that need some tuning.
All good Freelance Writer websites have common characteristics. These websites are well organized and provide the visitor with information that is easy to find and read. Potential clients do not like to try and figure out where things are on a website. The design must be clear and straight forward to attract their business.
Look at some of the attributes that make a good FreeLance Writer website:
- Designed to clearly show potential clients what types of work that you are qualified to complete
- A portfolio is provided showing off some of your best examples of work
- Links are provided to articles that you have written for online article services or other types of work that are available on the Internet
- Your contact information is provided, with an address and phone number to show that you are real
- A last updated date on the website, to indicate that the information is current and not an abandoned website
When searching for a website hosting service provider, look for one that provides all the services you need with flexibility to expand. Most website hosting companies provide a variety of services, for example:
- Ability to purchase domain names
- Provide e-mail service linked to a domain name
- Databases for storing information or for specific work projects
- Traffic monitoring of visitors to your website
- Server based online file for storing information
- 24 hour access
- Technical support
- Fax through e-mail service instead of buying a fax machine
- Business shopping carts for online sales of your work
- Blog hosting (online journals) that are taking advantage of the latest trend in online communication to attract business
- Podcasts for audio and video
- RSS (Really Simple Syndication) creation to let people know what you are doing
- SSL certificates that provide online security (https) for online stores and business that handle credit cards
- Copyright protection
- Shared server that allows multiple users to use the same server for hosting websites, perfect for home based-writing businesses
- Virtual dedicated server that is divided electronically and basically a shared server, does not really help you and costs more
- Dedicated server that you have the whole server for your use, not necessary for a home-based writing service
Finding the Right Service
There are numerous website hosting companies to choose from and you should check them out before signing up for their service. Go online and find out who the top five website hosting companies are and why they are in the top five. Look for blogs that talk up or talk down a website hosting company. Basically do some research to find the service that meets your requirements and needs.
Along with finding the right service it is helpful to look at successful FreeLance Writer websites.